If you’re looking for an easy, tasty treat, you’re going to love mason jar ice cream! With simple ingredients and no special equipment, it’s perfect to whip up when you have ice cream on the mind. You can make it your own by flavouring it any way you want and there are plenty of low carb and low calorie recipes so you can rest easy about your post-dinner snack. There’s something special about making your own ice cream, especially when you can make it in a mason jar. It’s so much better than anything store-bought and your kids are sure to love it! Want to know how to make this creamy, delicious treat at home? Check out our favourite recipes and tips!
How to Make Mason Jar Ice Cream: 5 Tips
1. Making The Base
Making mason jar ice cream is really easy. All you need are four simple ingredients to create an ice cream base and of course, a mason jar! For the base you’ll need heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract and salt, and you can feel free to add in any extra ingredients you’d like (think chocolate chips, strawberries, chopped nuts or crushed cookie pieces). After you’ve shaken the mixture vigorously for 4-5 minutes (until it thickens), freeze until the mixture hardens, about 3 hours. Note that the ice cream will be icy when it’s really cold, but softens to a creamy consistency.
2. Test Out the Shaking
It may take a few tries to get the perfect consistency for your mason jar ice cream. Figure out a pace that works for you and don’t be afraid to check the mixture to figure out whether you should keep going or change your pace. If you put too much force and spend too much time shaking the jar, you’ll end up with frozen whipped cream. If you shake lightly for only a couple of minutes, you’ll end up with frozen heavy cream that liquifies quickly.
3. Use Quality Cocoa for Chocolate Ice Cream
You can add cocoa to your ice cream base to create chocolate ice cream. Make sure that when you’re making chocolate ice cream, you only use quality cocoa powder. This will ensure you get the rich taste that you’ve come to expect from chocolate ice cream and aren’t left disappointed.
4. Get Creative with Add Ins
While many of the mason jar ice cream recipes below are plain ice cream bases, feel free to add in your favourite flavours and toppings. From fruit to nuts to syrups and jams, add-ins allow you to personalize your ice cream and make it your own!
5. How to Eat Your Mason Jar Ice Cream
There are so many different ways you can eat your mason jar ice cream! If you want to keep things simple, you can eat it on it’s own, or you can get creative with it! Serve it between cookies to make an ice cream sandwich; top up your breakfast waffles; or serve it with donuts! Also consider making a sundae bar for your kids – they can top their ice cream with anything from chocolate syrup to sprinkles to chopped pecans and maraschino cherries!
10 Easy Mason Jar Ice Cream Recipes
1. Crush Cookies Mason Jar Ice Cream | The Spruce Eats
2. No-Churn Mason Jar Ice Cream | Marla Meredith
3. Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream | Wonderfully Made and Dearly Loved
4. Mason Jar Brownie Ice Cream | Queen of My Kitchen
5. Easy Mason Jar Ice Cream (3 Flavours) | Creative Ramblings
6. Make-It-Your-Own Mason Jar Ice Cream | Lou Lou Girls
7. Strawberries and Cream Mason Jar Ice Cream | Wonderfully Made and Dearly Loved
8. Mason Jar Ice Cream Cake | Red Tricycle
9. Strawberry Balsamic Mason Jar Ice Cream | Chow Hound
10. Mason Jar Praline Dream Ice Cream | Kajun Keto
10 Low Carb Mason Jar Ice Cream Recipes
1. Keto Mason Jar Ice Cream | Wholesome Yum
2. Keto Vanilla Ice Cream in a Mason Jar | Hip2Keto
3. Low Carb Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream | Peace, Love and Low Carb
4. Low Carb Mason Jar Ice Cream with Pecans | KetoConnect
5. Keto Mason Jar Ice Cream (Chocolate or Strawberry) | Jennifer Banz
6. 4-Ingredient Keto Chocolate Ice Cream | Oh So Foodie
7. Keto Strawberry Cheesecake Mason Jar Ice Cream | Hungry for Inspiration
8. Low Carb Mint Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream | Stay Snatched
9. Low Carb Coffee Mason Jar Ice Cream | Low Carb Delish
10. Keto Mason Jar Matcha Ice Cream | Low Carbing Asian
10 Low Calorie Mason Jar Ice Cream Recipes
1. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mason Jar Ice Cream | Craft with Tammy
2. Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream | Seeking Good Eats
3. Sugar-Free Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream | KetoVale
4. 4-Ingredient Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream | Oh So Foodie
5. Easy Vanilla Pecan Mason Jar Ice Cream | Cooking Frog
6. Chocolate Chocolate Chip Mason Jar Ice Cream | So Nourished
7. No Churn Strawberry Ice Cream | All Recipes
8. Peanut Butter Mason Jar Ice Cream | Keto Sony
9. Butter Pecan Ice Cream | Sugar Free Mom
10. Mason Jar Strawberry Vanilla Ice Cream | Midget Momma
Making ice cream at home is easy with mason jar ice cream recipes! Try these tips and recipes for a creamy and delicious homemade treat!