Chia seeds are one of the world’s healthiest superfoods, and they’ve made a name for themselves in the cooking/baking world. They’re loaded with nutrients and have plenty of health benefits, especially chia pudding recipes. Chia pudding is the perfect healthy breakfast or snack. It’s creamy, delicious and loaded with fibre and protein to keep you satisfied and full throughout the day! Wondering what all the hype is about? Take a look at 20 chia pudding recipes we love!
9 Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
1. High in Nutrients, Low in Calories
Chia seeds are one of the healthiest foods on the planet, and are chock full of nutrients including fibre, protein, calcium and magnesium. They’re loved for their ability to provide sustainable energy, and although they’re tiny, they’re one of the world’s favourite superfoods! On top of having a high nutrient count, they’re also low in calories, making them amazing for both health and weight loss.
2. They’re High in Protein
Chia seeds are super rich in protein, at 14%, which is very high compared to most plants. The more protein you consume, the lower your appetite, which decreases snacking and overeating. Chia seeds also have a good balance of essential amino acids, helping your body make the most out of their protein content.
3. Bone Health
Chia seeds are high in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and protein, which are all essential for bone health. In terms of calcium, you get 18% of the recommended daily intake in just one ounce of chia seeds. If you don’t eat dairy, chia seeds are an excellent alternative to up your calcium intake.
4. They’re Packed with Antioxidants
Along with nutrients and vitamins, chia seeds are packed with antioxidants. Antioxidants fight the production of free radicals, which can contribute to aging and diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Consuming antioxidants is one of the best things you can do for your body, and chia seeds are one of the best sources!
5. Chock Full of Fibre
Chia seeds are an excellent source of fibre, which is beneficial for a number of reasons. They can absorb up to 10-12 times their weight in water, becoming gel-like and expanding in your stomach. This makes you more full and stalls your consumption of food, helping you eat fewer calories. Fibre also feeds the friendly bacteria in your stomach, elevating your gut health!
6. They’re Packed with Omega 3s
Chia seeds have a high dose of omega-3 fatty acids, with nearly 5 grams in one one-ounce serving. Omega-3s are crucial for brain health as well as eye health. They can help fight depression and anxiety and also improve risk factors for heart disease.
7. Chia Seeds Can Help Chronic Inflammation
Inflammation is your body’s natural response to fighting injury or infection. Although inflammation helps your body heal, it can also sometimes be harmful, especially when it’s chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation can surface due to unhealthy lifestyle habits such as smoking, poor diet and lack of exercise, and is associated with an increased risk of heart disease and cancer.
8. They Can Help You Lose Weight
Another great thing about chia seeds is they can aid in weight loss. The soluble fibre in chia seeds absorbs a large amount of water and expands in your stomach. This makes you feel full and slows the absorption of food. The protein in chia seeds can also reduce appetite and food consumption, making you feel satisfied for longer. Chia seeds may not make you lose weight on their own, but adding them in to your healthy weight loss diet is definitely helpful.
9. They Can Reduce Your Risk of Heart Disease and Diabetes
Chia seeds contain fibre, protein and unsaturated fats, which are all known to support a healthy heart and stable blood sugar levels. When chia seeds get wet, they form a gelatinous coating, which can prevent blood sugar spikes. And chia is also being studied as a potential natural treatment for type 2 diabetes due to its ability to slow down digestion.
How to Make Chia Seed Pudding [4 Tips]
1. Stir together your chia pudding ingredients in a mixing bowl or mason jar. Each recipe is different, so the ingredients you use will depend on the taste and nutrients you want (see our favourite chia pudding recipes below!).
2. Combine 3 tablespoons of chia seeds to one cup of liquid – this is usually a good blend. If you want a thicker pudding, you can mix 4 tablespoons with one cup of liquid instead.
3. Mix all the ingredients until they are well combined. Let it sit for 5 minutes, give it another stir to break up any clumps of chia seeds, then place it in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.
4. Chia seed pudding should be nice and thick. If it’s not, there’s a quick fix – add more chia seeds! One teaspoon to one tablespoon should do! Stir and refrigerate for another 30 minutes and you’ll have the perfect consistency.
5 Almond Milk Chia Pudding Recipes
1. Overnight Chia Seed Pudding with Almond Milk | The Worktop
2. 3-Ingredient Chia Pudding | Feel Good Foodie
3. Raspberry Low Carb Chia Pudding | Wholesome Yum
4. Vegan Nog Chia Pudding | Create Mindfully
5. Banana Cream Pie Chia Pudding | Choosing Chia
5 Chocolate Chia Pudding Recipes
1. Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Seed Pudding | Sweet as Honey
2. Smooth Chocolate Chis Pudding | Recipes to Nourish
3. Triple Chocolate Chia Pudding | Choosing Chia
4. Overnight Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding | Yummly
5. Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding | By Erin Elizabeth
5 Vanilla Chia Pudding Recipes
1. Vanilla Chia Pudding | IFoodReal
2. Creamy Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding | Joyful Healthy Eats
3. Vanilla Blueberry Chia Seed Pudding | Morgan Elizabeth Health
4. High Protein Vanilla Chia Pudding | Simply Quinoa
5. Vanilla Raspberry Chia Pudding | Not Enough Cinnamon
5 Greek Yogurt Chia Pudding Recipes
1. Raspberry Matcha Chia Pudding | Le Petit Eats
2. Mixed Berry Chia Pudding | The Foodie Physician
3. Vanilla Greek Yogurt Chia Seed Pudding | Little Broken
4. Chia Yogurt Power Bowl | Fit Foodie Finds
5. Greek Yogurt Chia Pudding with Roasted Grapefruit | Brewing Happiness
Chia pudding is healthy, filling and oh, so delicious. Whip up these recipes for breakfasts or snacks that really satisfy!