I have this thing for bread. Toast, garlic bread, bread and butter, banana bread, olive bread, you name it – I just can’t get enough. The problem? The unwanted bloat that always surfaces quickly post-bread binge. The thing is, whenever I eat bread, I can’t just eat one slice. I end up filling up on piece after piece, because it’s just so darn delicious. Keto bread, on the other hand, is just as scrumptious, and without wheat and grains, doesn’t make you bloat. It’s a great way to fill up without packing on the pounds. With lower carbs, and higher fiber, protein and healthy fat content, keto bread is the way to go if you want to enjoy bread and still lose weight.
What is the Keto Diet?
A high fat, low carb food plan, the keto diet forces your body to produce ketones in the liver, which are used as energy. When you eliminate carbohydrates from your body and overload it with fats, your body burns ketones as the primary energy source. Typically, glucose is used as the primary energy source, and when this occurs, fat is stored and you end up gaining weight. The keto diet turns this process around, lowering your intake of carbs and forcing your body into ketosis.
Since you have to use up your body’s store of glucose, it usually takes three to four days for your body to get into ketosis. And since healthy fats and proteins make you feel full faster, most people on the keto diet limit their caloric intake to about 1,500 calories a day. It also takes more energy to burn fat and protein than carbs, so you end up burning more calories than you did before the keto diet.
Pssst. Does this sound too complicated?
Click HERE to get keto-approved meals plans sent straight to your inbox.
The keto diet is one of the most popular diets right now, because not only does it help you lose weight, it also helps protect brain function and increase mental focus, gives you more energy, lowers blood pressure and aids with appetite control. It’s a game changer and it’s no wonder people are hooked!
Does Bread Make You Fat?
Not all bread makes you fat. White and whole wheat bread may be delicious, but the gluten in these types of bread is linked to gut inflammation, weight gain, brain fog, and autoimmune disease. They’re full of wheat and grains, and the main problem is these breads make you bloated. Eating one or two pieces of white bread won’t make you obese, but eating too much can definitely lead to weight gain.
It’s not just that these types of bread are extremely high in calories. They can also contribute to weight gain by rapidly raising your blood sugar, and causing cravings, often for more refined carbs. This is what leads to excess weight. White bread is also very low in fiber. Fiber helps slow foods in the digestive tract, making you feel full for longer. Without fiber, you can eat a sandwich and feel hungry half an hour later.
Gluten-free, keto bread is ideal for those who can’t live without bread, but want to lose weight at the same time. Made with alternative gluten-free flours like almond flour and coconut flour, and packed with healthy fats and fiber, there are plenty of low carb bread recipes to choose from.
Whether you’re looking for savory keto bread such as cashew sourdough bread or keto naan bread, or are in the mood for something sweet (think: blueberry lemon bread or coconut key lime bread), here are 26 keto bread recipes to enjoy!
10 Savory Keto Bread Recipes
1. Keto Friendly Savory Bread Recipe | I Save A to Z
2. Cheesy Garlic Bread Muffins | All Day I Dream About Food
3. Grain-Free Cashew Sourdough Bread | The Urban Poser
4. Keto Buns | Ketovale
5. Keto Cheese and Bacon Bread | Aussie Keto Queen
6. 90-Second Cheese and Herb Keto Bread | The Kitchn
7. Oopsie Keto Flatbread | Low Carbe Diem
8. Keto Naan Bread | Diet Doctor
9. Bulletproof Bread | Bulletproof Blog
10. Keto Savory Zucchini Bread | Gnom-Gnom
10 Sweet Low Carb Bread Recipes
1. Keto Blueberry Lemon Bread | Elana’s Pantry
2. Keto Coconut Flour Bread | The Coconut Mama
3. Cinnamon Cloud Bread | Creative Green Living
4. Keto Banana Walnut Bread | Keto Size Me
5. Cream Cheese Pumpkin Bread | Low Carb Yum
6. Flourless Peanut Butter Bread | Kirbie’s Cravings
7. Coconut Key Lime Bread | Low Carb Yum
8. Keto Banana Bread | Meraadi
9. Keto Cinnamon Swirl Bread | This Mom’s Menu
10. Homemade Blueberry Bread | Kasey Trenum
5 Almond Flour Carb Free Bread Recipes
1. Double Chocolate Banana Bread | The Toasted Pine Nut
2. Low Carb Almond Flour Bread | Wholesome Yum
3. Almond Flour Banana Bread | Live Simply
4. 90 Second Keto Bread with Almond Flour | Headbanger’s Kitchen
5. Almond Flour Bread | Divalicious Recipes
The BEST Low Carb Bread Recipe (According to the Internet)
According to Google, the number 1 ranked low-carb bread recipe on the internet is an almond flour bread by Ditch the Carbs. It’s the recipe everyone’s going crazy over!
If you’re new to cooking keto bread, these recipes are perfect for beginners. Enjoy bread and lose weight at the same time…what could be better?